Welcome to the world Baby Flat

I am pleased to say that Baby Flat arrived on 12th October, weighing 9lbs.  Both he and I are doing very well, despite a pretty scary labour.

To keep the dramatics down, I’ll say from the start that we are both perfectly fine now, which is the main thing.  If you’re pregnant and giving birth anytime soon though, maybe don’t read this until after you have safely delivered! I know how much I hated all the scare stories that people just LOVE to tell pregnant women.

I wrote in my last post about my concerns about Baby Flat being a large baby.  I wasn’t too concerned about the birth if he came on or before his due date, but I was worried about his size should he be born around 42 weeks and the associated risks of having a large (i.e. above 10/11lbs) baby.

On 11th October, at 39 weeks, we had a follow up scan and appointment with the consultant.  The scan showed Baby Flat to be 8lbs 13oz, so on the big size but hardly massive.  At the consultation the doctor suggested that we look to be induced at some point that week, so that I could hopefully have a natural birth and avoid needing a c section.  We assumed that meant going in around 40 weeks, but when she called the hospital they suggested that we go in that day!  Suddenly it was all systems go!

Around 4:30pm I arrived at the hospital and got settled in my room.  Thankfully it was a really quiet night, so I had the calm of being totally alone and not having screaming women everywhere.  I think having screaming, labouring women next door would have freaked me out a little bit!

After explaining the induction procedure, I was given the first pessary and was told that there was a high chance it wouldn’t do much very quickly and that I’d probably be given a second pessary six hours later.  I told BT to go home (approx 45 mins away) as there was no point him hanging around all night and it would be more helpful if he got a decent night’s sleep.  (Truth be told, I also wanted him to keep the cats company and make sure they were fed properly as they can get a bit silly if we just leave the ‘Cat Mate’ out for them.  I won’t write too much about this though, as I’ll just sound like a crazy cat lady!)

I was given the first induction pessary around 7/8pm and we made plans for BT to come back to the hospital around 7am the next morning, unless I contacted him before then.  I settled down, hoping to get a bit of sleep to prepare me for the next day.  It quickly became apparent that wouldn’t happen, as they needed to check on me and run some tests every two hours.  It also turns out that I am super responsive to the pessary and started full on contractions within three hours.  Ouch.  I had no idea what to expect, but those contractions were not fun at all.  They were particularly rapid, with a new contraction starting within a minute of the last one ending.  By about four hours in, it was completely unbearable.  I sent BT a text and asked him to come back and an anaesthetist was called to give me an epidural.  I was given gas and air, which I HATED (memories of drunk nights out as a student?!), and some other pain relief, as well as having a warm, relaxing lavender bath.  Unfortunately something caused me to start vomiting, which was particularly unpleasant as I hadn’t eaten for 12 hours so was just vomiting bile (sorry for the TMI).

I don’t think I have ever been so relieved to see BT as when he arrived back at the hospital in the early hours of the morning! Just as he arrived, the anaesthetist (“A”) also rocked up.  It was a little surreal, as BT (who does a medical job – I won’t say specifically what) and the anaesthetist regularly work together.  It was a little odd to hear “Oh hi A, how are you? Haven’t seen you in a while” as A is preparing a massive needle to stick into my back and I’m bent over a bed either whimpering or unable to breathe! Oh the glamour of being in, or working in, a hospital!

Unfortunately for A, the epidural was hardly a slick operation.  As my contractions were so frequent, he really struggled to get the needle into the right place so there were lots of failed attempts.  In the end, it took just under an hour and a half from him turning up to him actually getting the needle in the right place! I felt so sorry for him, and he was later joking that it’s typical that the one epidural that goes so badly wrong was done on a colleague’s wife.  Poor man! At least I understand that nothing is ever straightforward when it comes to medicine.

Once the epidural took effect, the pain was much more manageable.  It was more discomfort than actual pain.  It was also not very pleasant being made to stay lying down and be strapped to the monitors (by this point I’d had the catheter put in.  Fun!).

As the contractions had come on so quickly and strongly, and I started dilating very quickly, it was decided that I did not need the second pessary.  At some point, and I can’t remember when, I was put on the induction drip.  Again,  I am not sure of the exact timings, but by early morning I was 8cm dilated and so it was decided that the dosage would be increased gradually every four hours and that they would just keep monitoring me regularly.

We should have known that things would go wrong when the following comments were made (amongst others):

“You’re the most straightforward patient on this ward”.

“The trace is absolutely textbook.  It’s perfect”.

“You’re responding so well, the baby will be out by lunchtime”.

Cr@p.  Those were definite warning signs that things wouldn’t be easy!

After around 12 hours of being on the drip, I had only increased to 9cm dilated.  The midwives thought that upping the dosage in the drip would push things enough that I would be able to start pushing, but as they were already at the maximum amount that they were allowed to give, they needed to wait for a doctor to agree to give a higher dosage.  When the doctor came, she felt that it would not work, as I had already had over 12 hours of being on the drip and had only dilated an extra 1cm in that time. As such, she recommended an emergency c section.

On hearing that I would need an EMCS I became quite upset.  Firstly, this was exactly what I had wanted to avoid when we asked about having an elective C section, as I know that (as a sweeping generalisation) the safest methods of delivery are: 1) natural (when there are no risk factors at all, including being a large baby); 2) ELCS; and 3) EMCS.  I knew that the most dangerous births are the ones where the mum had been in labour and then an EMCS was needed.  Secondly, at this point I had been in labour for 24 hours (not established labour, but it had been 24 hours since I’d first had the pessary).  I was exhausted from the whole thing, hadn’t eaten in forever and was actually quite looking forward to the pushing part and having Baby Flat come out that way.  I know that sounds a little odd, but after the hell of the contractions I just wanted to be able to do that final part and have that experience!

I was quickly prepped and consented and wheeled off to have the c section.  In another bizarre twist, the new anaesthetist (“J”) was actually our ex next door neighbour! Again, so strange.

From the very start, the c section did not go to plan.  I instantly felt extremely unwell to the point where I was almost passing out.  I was vomiting and had trouble focussing and could hear a weird sort of white noise amongst the talking.  I also instinctively felt that the operation wasn’t straightforward as I had been told that it would take about 10 minutes for Baby Flat to come out and then around 40 minutes for the stitches to be done.  Although I had lost track of time, I knew that things had been going on much longer than 10 minutes.  I could also feel that I was being tugged and stretched aggressively in lots of directions, even though I didn’t feel any physical pain.

Although I didn’t know it at the time, it turns out that Baby Flat had made a good start on his journey out the natural way and he had also got into a very awkward position with his head pushed back (whatever that means).  As such, the poor surgeon really had to batter me to get Baby Flat out and ultimately had to take him out an unusual way (I think he said Baby Flat came out feet first and head last, but in all honesty I can’t remember everything I was told later that evening).  Throughout this, I lost a lot of blood and there was talk of giving me a blood transfusion (they didn’t), which explains why I felt so out of it.

Unfortunately, once Baby Flat came out, he was not breathing.  I wasn’t really aware of what was going on from the start, but after a while I realised something wasn’t quite right.  I kept asking BT and J what was going on, and they both tried to reassure me.

It turns out that things were much worse than I realised.  After five minutes, Baby Flat still wasn’t breathing and BT heard the surgeon say “Put out a crash call”.  We have obviously spoken about the birth since, and poor BT said that hearing those words was the worst moment of his life.  Due to the job he does, he knew exactly what that meant and in his head he was starting to really panic.  Although he didn’t show his panic at all to me, a few days later he got quite upset and admitted that he genuinely thought that we had lost our son and in his head he was thinking “How the hell do I tell Flat that our Baby didn’t make it?”.  I just feel sick thinking about what could have happened, and I feel so awful for poor BT having to try and keep a calm presence so as not to worry me.  I am not sure I would have been that strong.

Thankfully Baby Flat did start breathing and very soon we heard his first cry.  There are just no words to sum up the feeling of hearing that and knowing that he was ok.  BT even started crying (probably a mixture of joy, terror, relief…everything!) which felt very strange as he is a British Man so never cries at anything!

I don’t think either of us will forget what happened and we will never, ever stop being so incredibly grateful that Baby Flat is alive and well.  My body looks like a total horror show (11 days on I still have bruising covering the whole of my tummy and up to my ribs), I struggle to move about from the pain and I have been banned from doing anything remotely strenuous, or driving, for 12 weeks…but I just could not care less.

Since getting home just over a week ago, things have been going really well.  I felt quite wretched in the first few days.  Partly due to the physical assault on my body and all the drugs in my system, but also partly due to the way the birth happened.  For all that I am grateful that he is ok now, and that really IS the main thing, I feel very sad that I couldn’t hold him for several hours after he was born because I was just so out of it and weak.  I couldn’t even raise my arms up and I couldn’t focus enough to see him.  Also, I can’t really remember the first time I DID hold hold him (certainly not in any detail) or the first breastfeed (I am told that the Registrar came and put him on me and helped him to latch on).  I know that there was nothing I could have done, but I still feel a lot of Mother’s Guilt for not being there for him in those first few hours.

Anyway, we are now settled back home and Baby Flat seems to be doing much better.  It’s amazing how quickly he changes and every day he becomes more alert and aware of his surroundings.

To say that I am completely in love as an understatement!



14 thoughts on “Welcome to the world Baby Flat

    1. Thanks Nara. Yes – all very scary but we’re both so lucky to be ok. Now I’m just enjoying the newborn stage and doing my best to forget about the labour! I hope your pregnancy is going well. It’s not that long for you now (although it will feel like forever when you get to the really fat stage!!!) x


  1. Let me just first say I am so pleased you started off saying you are both fine!!! As I was reading your birth story I had to keep telling myself you guys are ok and not cry!
    Congratulations for making it through what a crazy ordeal! But thank you, importantly, for sharing!!
    Btw- That must have been a little bit strange knowing your anesthesiologists in some way !
    I really can’t imagine that terrifying moment of baby not breathing for you all-I am so sooo happy everything was ok in the end! Except for your recovery, I’m so sorry that sounds horrendous, I wish you a speedy recovery and healing. Take it easy!!
    Welcome to the world baby flat 🎉😊👏

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you very much for the lovely message Dani. The birth was a total horror show, but I wanted to write about it so that I remember everything that happened later down the line. We’re both doing great now, but I think the memories will stay with me a long time (thank God there’s lots I actually can’t remember!!!). Baby Flat not breathing was the worst moment of my life and, to be honest, I’m kind of pleased I was so out of it at the critical moment and didn’t realise just how serious it was.

      How are you getting on? I hope you’re well. I need to have a catch up on your blog! I never knew a baby would take up quite so much time, so I haven’t been keeping up with the few blogs I follow. Be warned: you have all this to look forward to in a few months 🙂 x x x


    1. Thank you. That’s really kind of you! Two weeks on we are doing much better. I am absolutely in love with him 🙂

      How are you doing? How is Baby SN? I read your last post and it made me tear up. After everything you went through, I’m so pleased he arrived safely x x x

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Gosh, the love is out of this world, isn’t it? It’s like falling in love all over again.

        We are doing well. Adrian was sleeping through the night most nights at 9 weeks but for the last 3 or so (12-15) he’s decided to only go 4 hour stretches at the most and a lot of times not even that long! Lots of an hour here and there all night long! I will say I think the first month is the hardest and then it gets much easier at 6 weeks and then again every couple of weeks after that. The communication gets easier, as they enter this world more fully, and that helps! He smiles and coos all the time and is such sweetheart.

        It sounds like you had quite a difficult labor too! Mine ended up being 27 hours and it sounds like we went through some of the same stuff initially, but mine was a lot more typical and less scary at the end (aside from the umbilical cord)! I was pushing for two hours so I thought I would have to have an emergency c section at some points but it ended up being okay. I am so so glad it’s all over for you and Baby Flat is safely in your arms! It’s all so emotional – especially after the challenges we’ve had to get them here!

        Liked by 1 person

      2. Glad to hear you’re doing well. I can’t believe how old he is already! From what I hear, it’s two steps forward then a step back, so hopefully he’ll start sleeping through again soon!

        Yes – your labour sounds equally as stressful. I think after everything you went through before Adrian, you deserved to be one of those ‘pop the baby out in 4 hours’ women :p At least they are both safely here x x x


  2. Congrats! I am so thankful that everything turned out ok. What an incredibly scary experience for both you and hubby. I can relate to hubby “knowing” things in the medical field…it is a blessing and a curse.

    I hope that things are settling down and you’re getting into your mommy groove! Best wishes!!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Definitely! Generally I prefer to know exactly what is going on at all times but, like you said, when things go wrong it can worry you more than if you’re blissfully unaware.

      How are you getting on now? It sounds like you also had quite an ordeal! I hope you’re settling into motherhood ok 🙂 x x x


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s